These statements are directly from the ABC (Arcadia Church of the Brethren) Constitution
The faith of the Congregation of the Arcadia Church of the Brethren:
1. Is founded upon the belief that there is but one God who is a personal God
who, in holy love, creates, sustains, and orders all;
2. Confesses Jesus Christ is the son of God and thus Lord of the church and of
3. Believes that the Holy Spirit is at work in the hearts and minds of the
believers, creating and sustaining the church through the gospel, giving
guidance and comfort and uniting believers with the Lord and with one
4. Considers that all members of the congregation of the body of believers are
responsible for the total ministry of the church;
5. Maintains that the New Testament is its only creed and rule of faith. In the
Holy Scriptures is recorded God’s search for man which is climaxed in God’s
redemptive act in and through Jesus Christ. Through His holy word, God still
speaks and continues to accomplish His redemptive purpose;
6. Believes that the Holy Gospel is, “the Good News”, that God was in Christ
reconciling the world unto himself. Through the gospel, God’s sovereign will
and Christ’s redeeming grace are revealed;
7. The congregation holds that the church is the body of Christ, under the Lord’s
mandate to be faithful in accepting and transmitting the gospel by word and
by deed; and
8. Accepts that the ministry of the church is to be the proclamation and
fulfillment of the gospel for all people both near and far and for the nurture of
the individual believers in the Christian faith and life.
God is calling our Church to be His servants striving to develop Christ like
attributes in our Christian walk through the teachings of His Holy Spirit by
accepting others, believing in Jesus, and caring for each other.
God is calling us to lead others to grow in Jesus by:
1. Putting Him first in our lives, individually and as a body develop a personal
relationship with Him through prayer and reading His Holy Word;
2. Putting others before ourselves and demonstrating unconditional, Christian
love for one another;
3. Using the spiritual gifts that, by His grace, we have received for His purposes;
4. Demonstrating the gifts of the spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control) which we receive by His
grace and by being his faithful servant; and
5. Implementing God’s Great Commission by sharing the message of Jesus
Christ with others and growing disciples.
ARTICLE III BAPTISM
Baptism is an outward expression of an inward belief. Through belief that Jesus Christ is
the Son of God and through confession of sin and repentance to Jesus Christ, one receives
baptism of the heart. Upon baptism, the Holy Spirit will dwell within one’s heart.
Baptism, as practiced by (ABC) Arcadia Church of the Brethren, is in the name of the Father,
the Son, and the Holy Spirit and is by immersion. Request for baptism by trine
immersion shall be honored by the pastor.
ARTICLE IV MEMBERSHIP
Church membership is not to be entered into lightly or unadvisedly. Membership in the
Arcadia Church of the Brethren congregation is a way in which we affirm and live out
our membership in Christ’s larger body as directed by the Holy Scriptures. Through our
interrelatedness with other Christians of the congregation:
1. We experience the fullness of the gifts of the Spirit.
2. We discover ways to be faithful to our covenant with God and each other.
3. We are able to support one another in carrying out our common calling as the people
To make membership meaningful and significant, an individual is encouraged to attend a
membership class. Also, to make membership meaningful and significant, the
congregation and the member shall diligently strive to attain mutual accountability to one
another. The congregation has a covenant responsibility:
1. To instruct each individual in the Word of God and the faith and practices of the
Arcadia Church of the Brethren prior to being received into membership.
2. To encourage growth in freedom and discipleship.
3. To help members discover their gifts and find ways for them to serve in Christ’s
4. To provide ministries that respond to both spiritual and physical needs.
Likewise, each member has a covenantal responsibility:
1. To actively seek participation in the life of the congregation.
2. To seek the counsel of the church in living out the way of Christ.
3. To challenge the church to greater accountability to its calling.
4. To respond to opportunities to serve in the congregation and beyond.
5. To be faithful to the church by way of their attendance at regular services and by their
stewardship of time, talent, and financial support.
Each individual member and the congregation shall love God and follow the teachings
and commandments of the Lord Jesus Christ.
A. BECOMING A MEMBER
It is the responsibility of the congregation to reach out to others, to share with
them the good news of God’s grace in Jesus Christ, and to invite them to enter
into the life of Christ’s body. After an individual has expressed a desire to
become a member, they will then have the opportunity to learn about the Arcadia
Church of the Brethren and will receive a sponsor to be a mentor to/for them.
Individuals may be received into the church in one of three ways:
1. CONFIRMATION OF FAITH
An individual may enter into membership of the Arcadia Church of the
Brethren through confirmation of faith, full confession in Jesus Christ as
Lord and Savior, and evidence of baptism into the Christian Faith.